Shared Responsibility – Reducing Your Risks
The question that is asked most often by clients is: “What happens if something goes wrong?”
No surgeon or hospital anywhere in the world can ever guarantee absolutely no problems and complications.
Moviestar Makeovers is not a medical provider, however, we do work closely with hospitals and medical clinics to reduce risks post-surgery, and will provide you with the information you need to recover as quickly as possible after your specific procedure.
This includes the following points on your own responsibility of self-care post-surgery.
- Time of stay post-surgery – The time of stay post-surgery given by your Surgeon must to be adhered to. Your Surgeon provides feedback and advises the time of stay required at your destination based on the procedures you are having. This helps reduce risks such as a wound infection, or Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT). Most procedures require a long operation under General Anaesthetic and you need time to fully recover before flying safely.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis- There is a risk of developing Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) when traveling on any long haul flight, it is known that immobility is one of the factors that may lead to the development of a blood clot in a deep vein. The risks are further increased after surgery. To decrease the risk the World Health Organisation provides the following advice:
- Moving around the cabin- a trip to the bathroom every 2-3 hours is a reasonable measure.
- Exercising the calf muscles- many airlines will provide helpful advice on exercises you can do.
- Hand luggage should not be placed where it restricts movement of the legs and feet, and clothing should be loose and comfortable.
- Passengers are advised not to use aspirin specifically for the prevention of travel-related DVT.
For more information on DVT see the World Health Organisation website- http://www.who.int/ith/mode_of_travel/DVT/en/
- Pre-surgery surgeon consultation – please ensure that you ask all the questions you need to about your surgery and are clear about the answers. If you need more clarification, or explanation, please ask. If you are unsure of any procedure, please do not agree to go ahead with your surgery. You will most likely be very nervous, so it is a good idea to write down your questions beforehand, this way you do not forget to ask any questions. The pre-consultation is the most important meeting of all to understand your surgery and what to expect. At any time, you can cancel a procedure if you are not sure!
- Wound recovery – All post-surgery wound care is undertaken by the medical team at the hospital or medical centre in each destination. We strongly recommend that you stay at your destination until your wounds have completely closed – if they haven’t by the time you are due to go home, then you may need to extend your stay a few days. For this reason, we recommend that you purchase flexible air tickets that allow you to change. Our team can assist you to change your flights, and extend your accommodation; we will help you as much as possible, so please remember to book flexible air tickets.
- Rest – we do ask if you rest and recover as much as your body requires. Shopping, eating out is always so tempting, and of course, you can do some when you feel better, but as much as possible, do rest and relax. We find that the less stress a patient has the better and quicker they do recover. We do have ‘get together’ lunches in Kuala Lumpur to get everyone out of their room, and this is normally stress free – we will pick you up from your hotel and take you to the restaurant and then back again to your hotel.
- Diet and hydration – it is important to eat as fresh and healthy as possible and drink lots of water (2-3 litres a day) during your recovery to keep your body hydrated.
- Swimming – Moviestar Makeovers doesn’t recommend any swimming in a public pool for the first 10-14 days after your surgery. You can go – and it is recommended – to use the sauna. You can sit in the sun, but do keep all your wounds completely out of the sun, and also if you have had facial peels, you must wear a hat and factor 50 sunscreens at all times.
- Supplements to take- we recommend that you bring with you, and start taking Vitamin C for healing and recovery. At your consultation, please ask your surgeon before you start taking Arnica supplements.
- Smoking and Alcohol- please stop smoking and the consumption of alcohol four weeks prior, and four weeks post-surgery. If you smoke or consume alcohol before, or after surgery the risk of infection, complications and wound breakdown increase.
- Antibiotics – if your wounds are taking longer than average to heal then you may ask your surgeon for more antibiotics. Ask for his advice on what to take to speed up recovery and healing.
- Returning home- we recommend that you do not book yourself with work or social commitments for at least the first week or two after you arrive home, so you give yourself a chance to rest and relax after your trip and your surgery. If you have had breast surgery or a tummy tuck, you must not lift children, any heavy items or do strenuous exercise for at least six weeks. Be sure to plan for this before your trip, so you are not expected to have a lot of work and family commitments.
We will help through your recovery, but we need you to cooperate with us also to minimize your risks. If you follow our advice and really rest, relax and look after yourself, then the chances of any infections or complications are really very low.
We offer the complete range of non-surgical treatments, dentistry, optical, facial and body treatments
Some of the non-surgical treatments include:
- Laser resurfacing and chemical peels to diminish wrinkles, and reduce pigmentation of the skin to give a younger, fresher appearance
- Thermage – known as the ‘non-surgical facelift’
- Permanent hair removal – this is effective on all areas of the body
- Body wraps and massages – this works on the lymphatic system to eliminate toxins from the body, which can be extremely beneficial after surgery
We work independently, partnering with the most experienced specialists and clinics for different treatments. So, if you want a specific treatment in any area, please ask!
Care and Attention
Our dedicated attention to you at all stages of your travel and surgery ensures you get the results you expect as well as having a wonderful, relaxing holiday.
Our representatives at home and in your preferred destination take care of everything, from travel, accommodation and hospital procedures, so you can concentrate on relaxing and having a great holiday. We are available at all times for anything you require, and our great relationships with the hospitals ensures you get professional and priority service.
Many clinics at home send you home the same day of your surgical procedure, leaving you exposed to the same stresses and commitments when you are still healing and recuperating and are not ready. Stress is a major factor of complications and problems. Furthermore, many surgeons do not offer follow-up examination and advice. This may promote complications and problems, which will not be addressed until too late.
Instead, our policy is to examine and look after you every step of the way, while giving you the time and ability to relax and focus on yourself. We take care of you to help maximize your results.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.